Reverse Culture Shock

>> Saturday, January 24, 2009

This is the fifth year I am not living at home but every year when I back to Malaysia, I am worry if I able to adapt Malaysia life again. Will I have reverse culture shock? Am I still familiar with everything in my own country.

There is no doubt how much I love Malaysia and proud to be Malaysian. However, the thing here change too fast. I don't know exactly what has changed or different but there are some difference and I know I need to deal with it.

I have made a decision early of this year, I am coming back here for good in July. I always worry will I love the life here? Today just the first day I came back home, I found a lot of things is uneasy for me. There are many things I don't like but I have to accept. I am not sure should let the environment change me or should I change the environment?

The first feeling every time I arrive airport is hot and smelly. It is not a good feeling. Then, I will find that the driver on the road is very rude. I always ask myself, can people just be a bit more patient and be nice. May be is the recession or I am too comfortable with NZ life but this time I feel that the behavior on the road is worse than last year. Should I act like them or should I just try to cool myself down?

There are a lot of details really annoyed me such as smokers everywhere, people smoke at public place (there even people smoke on plane yesterday! What a retard!), traffic everywhere (I don't mind traffic, I just can't stand the country you love has such a bad behaviour), I am not familiar with my environment, people look different than what I can remember...

Anyway, it is just how I feel at the moment, I think I will fine in very short time!!!

Yeah.. Chinese New Year is around the corner! Can't wait for lunar eve dinner! I just discuss the menu with mum. Even now I feel hungry when I though about it.

2 comments:

yowkien 25 January, 2009 12:49  

Culture shock is inevitable, for me, it's mostly the food taste that my taste buds have to re-adjust.

Haha, maybe you are back from NZ and i'm back from China, for me, Malaysia has not changed much. When you said people is rude, come to China. When you said smokers are everywhere, come to China. When you said traffic is back, come to China. When you said (whatever)... come to China.

When you are re-adjusting, maybe you can take some time to reflect on why these two countries behave like this. Because everytime when you look into their past, you tend to understand why they do this and that, why they are like this and that. Eventually, you become more tolerant.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Malaysia.

p/s: Call me out.

IamRajthilak 13 March, 2014 01:42  

:-)

You have said Malaysia changed. Like the previous comment, i will now point India.

Traffic, Rudeness, dirt, stupidity, everything is overflowing here. Needless to say as you have travelled to India already. You know it already.

Just adapt to the places.

:-)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP