10th Indian Trip - Varkala - Kayankumari - Madurai - Kodaikanal

>> Friday, May 18, 2007

After one week stayed in Bangalore for moving my house, I started my 10th Indian trip last weekend, from 27 April to 3 May. It was during 1st May, Labour day. This is the first time I had my real labour day as I am labour instead of student now.

I had planned this trip for very long time. At the beginning I planned to go to Shimla, some beautiful hill station at the bottom of Himalaya. However, spent INR10,000 to get a flight ticket only for 4 days it does not very economical. Hence, I changed my planned to Kerala and Tamil Nadu, South India. At first I planned to go by alone, then Carmen decided to join me : )
One week before, we went to get the train ticket, the cheapest way to travel in India. Finally I knew where to get the foreigner reservation ticket in Bangalore. However, we only can get one confirm ticket and another is 421 waiting list. At the moment, I felt like it is impossible to get a sit. However, it was cheap only INR303 for 16 hours train. So we decided to buy it, the worst is we squeeze in one bed.

Few hours before go up to the train, I had made sure that we are going to get the bed. I was really surprised that even you have to wait for 421 to cancel their ticket you still can get the sit. But here is India, you always expect something unexpected!

Finally we started our trip at 9.45 p.m. at Friday night. Something unexpected happened, the seat I though we would definitely have it actually is only a seat not a bed! At the end we still squeeze together for 16 hours!!!! Another Indian experience.
...the view from the train...

After 16 hours, we arrived Varkala, the best beach in Kerala, in the afternoon. We found a accommodation, bamboo house, at the top of cliff.
our bamboo house
Varkala beach

WOW!! The view from the cliff was awesome!!!! I have never seen such a beautiful beach in India so far. Since I was disappointed by Goa beach I do not have any expectation of Indian beach. However, I will say Varkala is such a nice beach!

Kerala once again be my most favorite state!!!!

Unfortunately, we were only can have one night here and have to leave early in the next morning! But still good can be here!

The next morning, after having the good value Italian breakfast. We head off to next destination - KANYAKUMARI

one of best Breakfast in India
get bike from Italian restaurant
__________

Because of the breakfast we missed our train, so we decide to go by bus. We have to go to Varkala town to change another bus to Kanyakumari. However, we met a STUPID + DOGGY bus driver gave us a wrong information!! So we took the wrong bus (it does not exactly wrong just not directly). Although I know I should not trust the information from one Indian, I made a mistake again.
in the bus
view on the way

However, something good will happen. We stopped in a small town and accidently I was attracted by a small and dirty stall on the street. It reminded me the trip I went with Mark and Clay we always have this kind of shop. They always have good value meal. However, if you travel with intern they always scared to get stomachache. Thanks Carmen did not mind to have meal with me at this place. Then we had non-veg thali! it was delicious!!
yummy

Around 4p.m. we arrived Kanyakumari, based on Lonely Planet, we found a good room with INR200. Good deal!
my favorite photo in the trip

Then, we went to Kumari Amman Temple. I am really not interested at any temple because I am not believe any god but it always the things you have to see in South India.

Want to know the story?
According to legend, the goddess Devi did penance here to secure marriage with Shiva, who was 13km away at Suchndram. However, it was a time when the world was threatened by demons whose horrendous atrocities were creating chaos and torment throughout the universe. Vishnu advised Devi she could save the world, but only if she remained a virgin. Relinquishing her desire for marriage, she single-handedly fought and conquered the demons, so securing the freedom of the world. Subsequently, continue her penance. Pilgrims see her as a protector. They come in appreciation of her sacrifice and the freedom she secured for them, their ancestors and descendants.

I do not know do people believe it. For me, o.k. it is a story! I do not want to have any comment on that. Respect culture....

The next, we went to Gandhi memorial. Nothing much to see inside. But the view from the top is very beautiful. We sit there for a long time to have a enjoyable moment with the merging of three oceans: the bay of bengal, the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea.
Ganthi Memorial
I like the wave
colourful india

Experience the sunset and the moonrise at the same moment at the Land's End of Indian subcontinent...

At that time I suddenly come out with the idea - lets come here and see the sunrise tomorrow morning because I had ever see the sunrise from the sea in my life. If I happened it will be best part of my trip!

So we woke up 5.40a.m. to catch the 6a.m. sunrise. However, once again, something you did not expect. There are already bunch of Indian waiting there for the sunrise! I would never imagine I will see my first sunrise with so many people!!! Crazy India!!!!

It was a unforgetable moment for me. I always wish I can see the sunrise. I missed it when I went to Redang, Allepley... Finally, Kanyakumari!!!!
Yi fan (see the yatch) with the sunrise

never see these before
I don't know why this banana taste like coconut!!!!!
he was making our keychainin the night market.. everything 5 rup
Madurai
huge temple

It is one of the South India's oldest cities but I do not like the city at all. It is full of pilgrims, beggars, businesspeople, bullock carts and legions of underemployed rickshaw drivers. It is boring!!!

Here is very famous with one things - Sri Meenakshi Temple. It is a huge tamil temple. However, it is just another temple for me. However, it was good to meet the festival during the time we went there. There is something like God marriage festival which is 12 days in total and that was the last night. Lucky us!

Kodaikanal


I was quite disappointed at this place. May be I went to the wrong time. Indian public holiday since you know there are so many people here. if 1% go up to Kodai then it won't be a nice hill station I though before.

So we experienced a lot of people and many traffic hill station. And everything was too rush we are not really have time to enjoy it!

But one good things there sell good chocolate. But I am wonder where the milk from because I didn't see milk cow!!!!

This was the 10th trip in India!!! I could not believe that I really make it. After this 10th trip I definitely addicted to travel. I already start planning my NZ trip even still have one and a half month.

My goal before is 12th trip but it seems like I am able to make more.

My Goa and Coorg trip is going to upload here soon : )

2 comments:

Anonymous,  19 May, 2007 09:54  

lol u seem to have seen lots of lovely places in india. i have lived here long enough, five years to be exact. i only wish you knew well enough never to trust or ask anybody about directions in india, like that bus driver, thats what happened when i asked someone at the airport: got wrong info.anyway i love your posts. at least ur giving the world a picture of this place. im writing my experiences too. drop by sometimes. i jst started it after inspirations from u. http://hindilife.wordpress.com

1fan 21 May, 2007 04:22  

hahaha.. I know the Indian way quite well but do not know why I believed the stupid driver at that moment! I just read your blog. Wow.. Five year is really a long time in India. But India is really amazing. Although it is dirty, pollution, crazy,I love it so much! I feel so sad to leave India soon after 7 months.

Are you working in BOmbay, I really like that city. I wish to go back again before I leave but too bad I don't have enough time.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP